The skin around our eye area is very thin, so the effects of the sun, aging and lifestyle can quickly cause it to loosen, sag or wrinkle.
Also known as blepharoplasty, eyelid rejuvenation removes sagging skin to create a naturally tighter appearance and a more youthful look. A relatively straightforward cosmetic procedure, it can leave you looking years younger, although eyelid surgery will not dramatically alter your appearance.
Best suited for patients in good physical health, eyelid rejuvenation is usually carried out on patients over 35 years old. It is possible, however, to have the surgery at a younger age if the appearance of your eyes bothers you, or if you have heavy bags under your eyes.
Eyelid rejuvenation is performed as a day surgery, although a short hospital stay may be necessary. Depending on the case, the patient may require local or general anaesthetic. Scarring will vary depending on your individual case, however Dr Tew will make every effort to keep the scars as minimal as possible.
It is possible to combine blepharoplasty with other procedures, such as a brow lift, to give an overall youthful appearance. Blepharoplasty can successfully treat:
- Loose or sagging skin that creates folds or disturbs the natural contour of the eyes
- Excess fatty deposits that appear as puffiness in the upper eyelids
- Bags under the eyes
- Droopiness of the lower eyelids
- Excess skin and fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid
- Eyelid surgery improves the appearance of the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both, and gives a rejuvenated appearance to the surrounding area of your eyes.
If the excess skin of the upper eyelids obstructs vision, a rebate from Medicare is possible.